Mid-week dinners need to be on the table quickly, budget friendly, and hit the spot for everyone in the family. But weeknight convenience doesn’t have to mean ripping open a packet or calling in takeaway.
Today’s Chicken Lettuce Cups are a cleaned up version of a takeaway favourite that you can throw together in less than 10 minutes and will keep everyone happy. Add some steamed Asian veg and you’ve got a nutrient packed dinner.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
- 500g free range chicken mince
- 1 tablespoon chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and separated into leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, sliced thickly
- 1 handful of almonds or cashews, roughly chopped
[/column] [column size=”1/2″]
- Heat oil in a nonstick frypan or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add spring onions, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken mince and cook brown all over. You will have to keep stirring and breaking the mince up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add the dry sherry to deglaze the pan. Then add tamari, rice wine vinegar, honey and water chestnuts and stir-fry until heated through.
- Assemble lettuce cups by spooning chicken mixture into a lettuce leaf and topping with chopped almonds. Serve with lime wedges and avocado. This is a great one to get kids to assemble themselves!