We all know it: to succeed we need to set goals.
Goals are great, but without a plan they’re pretty much just good vibes. It’s like road tripping somewhere new without Google Maps.
And to us, reaching a goal like fat loss or strength gains is only worthwhile if you can maintain it.
Inspired by Jame Clear’s book Atomic Habits (read it! do it!), we’ve challenged our clients to create their own success systems.
Here’s the idea. You can create incremental change that really sticks by:
- creating a system of behaviours
- repeating this system day in and day out
- internalising these behaviours, so that you just DO the things without struggle
To change habits, you really need to get down to the nitty gritty. By tackling one small behaviour at a time, and practising new habits again and again and AGAIN, we automate the actions we WANT to be taking. Even when motivation gets the wobbles.
It’s like creating your own personal handbook for “The Way I Do Things”.
EXAMPLE: If your goal’s to drop 5kgs and MAINTAIN your new, leaner bod, your system might include daily habits like:
- I go to sleep by 10pm and sleep 8 hours a night
- I record what I eat on My Fitness Pal every day
- I plan my meals and shop on Sunday
- I walk 10,000 steps every day
- I do 3 x 30 minute strength training sessions a week
Performed DAILY and CONSISTENTLY, these habits become part of your identity, so that they just happen automatically.
Our “I am” wall at New Image is filling up, and we like what we see.
(Side note: The power of popping an “I AM” in front of your desired habit is that you begin to internalise that action into your identity. You start to believe you’re the kind of person who does those things. Try it. It works.)
- I am training 4 times a week
- I am sleeping 8 hours every night
- I am drinking 2L of water daily
- I am positive and grateful
- I am a MACHINE!
What small change can you commit to TODAY that you can do EVERY DAY to make your goals a reality?