https://newimagept.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Baked_Meatballs_Tomato_Sauce-recipe.jpg 400 600 Emma Paul https://www.newimagept.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/logo-new-image-large.png Emma Paul2015-10-13 10:07:162015-11-12 16:01:31Baked Meatballs with a Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 500g grass fed beef or veal mince
- 4 roma tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 150g baby spinach, leaves torn
- 1 x 400g jar of passata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Few leaves of basil
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Wholegrain pasta or zucchini noodles to serve (optional – it’s a complete meal on its own!)
[/column] [column size=”1/2″]
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Get started roasting the tomatoes for the sauce (instructions below).
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add baby spinach and 2 cloves of crushed garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Combine mince, ricotta, spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl. Roll mixture into balls. Place into a baking dish or casserole.
- Pop into the oven for 10 minutes. Pour prepared sauce (method below) into dish and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve either on its own or with wholegrain pasta and a green salad to feed a hungry family.
To make sauce
- Place tomatoes in a baking dish lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with a few leaves of torn basil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pop into the oven for 40 minutes.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining garlic and onion and cook until soft.
- Add roast tomatoes and passata to pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and puree until smooth with a stick mixer.