One of the biggest health challenges we all face is getting a nutritious evening meal on the table, day in, day out. But if we are eating out too much, relying on processed ready-meals or eating on the run rather than with our family or friends, we are cheating ourselves out of a host of health benefits.
And we are less likely to be as trim as we’d like.
We believe that home cooking as much as possible and taking joy in sharing a meal with your family is really key to ongoing good health and weight management.
So, we’re trialling a new concept for our New Image clients. Everyone should have received in their inbox today a plan for five delicious, healthy weeknight dinners. We’ve sent them today to allow time for shopping and chopping over the weekend.
Our dinners are based on seasonal ingredients, which is important for taste, health and to make fresh produce as affordable as possible. For example, this week’s menu features fennel, sweet potato, beetroot, brussel sprouts and butternut pumpkin, all in season in Australia in July.
Here, we’re sharing a recipe we have sent our clients for a healthy butter chicken – a takeaway favourite that is traditionally not great for the waistline! This one has been adapted from a recipe by Bill Granger. We’d love to hear from you if there are any other yummy dishes that you would like tweaked to make them more nutritious!
Example recipe – healthy butter chicken
Ingredients (to serve 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 750 g chicken thigh fillets, in 2cm cubes
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup reduced fat greek yoghurt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 20g rocket
- Handful coriander roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Stir in spices and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring to coat with the spice mixture.
- Add tomatoes and stock and stir. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to cook gently for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering away, whizz the cashew nuts in a food processor until fine. Add to the chicken and cook gently for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir through yohgurt and lemon juice.
- Serve topped with coriander and with rocket and sliced cucumber.