It’s cauliflower season! After a summer filled with gorgeous light salads, tomatoes from (somebody else’s) garden and barbecued meats, we are ready to enjoy some of the cooler season vegetables again. And what better way to enjoy them than roasting.
This month, we are giving cauliflower some love. It’s one of those vegies that inspires dread, or at least boredom, in many of us, but is really worth rethinking and adding to your diet. It is probably the world’s daggiest superfood – packed with cancer fighting antioxidants, it is also anti-inflammatory, can boost brain activity and assists healthy digestion.
So, how do we make cauliflower delicious without dousing it in cheesy sauce? Try this amazing roast veggie salad!
Roasted cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli with macadamias
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 300g brussel sprouts, leaves removed
- 1 small head of broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 small head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- ¼ cup macadamias, toasted then roughly chopped
- Handful finely chopped continental parsley to serve
- ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup (not maple syrup flavoured)
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place brussel sprout leaves, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, oregano, garlic and olive oil in a bowl and toss well to combine.
- Tip vegie mixture into a large baking tray lined with baking paper and pop in the oven. Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until golden. Give them a stir every now and then. We enjoyed them a little brown on the edges, but it’s up to you.
- To make the dressing, combine vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard and water and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Tip cooked veggies into a bowl and pour over the dressing. Toss to combine, then sprinkle with macadamias and parsley to serve. Nothing daggy about that!