So many of my new female clients are scared to weight train. As a strong believer in the many benefits of strength training for ladies, I always make it my mission to turn them around!
While cardio is well known as a fat burning exercise, nothing will change the shape of your body more than strength training. I guarantee you that if you are pounding the treadmill or cross trainer for hours a week but not weight training, and are not seeing results, you WILL notice a big change once you start strength training.
Here are the facts:
- The stronger we get, the higher our metabolic rate. As you build muscle, you will burn more calories. Around half a kilo of lean muscle tissue uses about 35-50 extra calories per day. The bottom line is – lift weights, keep the weight off more easily.
- Weight training becomes even more important as we get older. The average weight gain for a woman between the ages of 35 and 60 is 11 kilos. In order to work against this natural weight gain you really need to have every piece of the puzzle in place – cardio training, healthy eating and resistance training.
- Women are at a higher risk of osteoporosis than men and weight bearing activity is one of the best preventative measures you can take to maintain your bone density. Even simple exercises that use your body weight as resistance such as squats and push-ups will help.
- Not only does weight training burn fat, it helps you look slimmer by improving your posture. A balanced, carefully designed resistance training program will have you standing taller and reducing the aches and pains associated with poor posture.
- Resistance training is the only way to tighten and tone up your body. Combined with great nutrition and regular cardio, weight training will firms upper arms, lifts bottoms and flattens tummies.
Be reassured are not going to have muscles bulging everywhere like a ripped body builder if you start weight training. There is a very small proportion of the female population with the genetic make-up to even have the potential to create that body shape. The women with that look are not lifting weights for half an hour three times a week – they train for hours a day, eat a dangerously restrictive diet and take loads of supplements. That’s definitely not the kind of approach we advocate at New Image!
If you’ve never weight trained before and would like to get a taste of it, call me to book in for a free session at New Image and we can take you through a session. Please don’t just go to the gym and pick up weights without instruction. Safety first! Please contact me if you have any questions.